Where I fit in the box of crayons....

Do you ever get that feeling like there's more out there? That's the feeling that brought me to beyond borders. The global community is growing, and I have not yet become a part of it. I want to be a contributing citizen to the global community through participation and action. Over the years, I have developed an appreciation for diversity and difference, and look for other ways that people are doing things. There’s a whole world out there beyond our North American perspective that has the potential to change the way I see things, and to change my life. Gahndi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think we should not only find the change within ourselves, but also take part in the change we want to see in the world. I hope that Beyond Borders will offer a medium in which I can be the change I want to see in the world, and also take part in that change.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"Thats so gay is so yesterday"

I am in a program that operates from a social justice framework, and includes the practices of inclusion, anti oppression and acceptance….. Most of the time.

In class (Beyond Borders) we have talked about the idea of some people being “Justice Seekers” with a focus on social justice, and calling out injustices where ever possible. This is me! I strongly identify with this role. I can remember in grade school trying to get the other kids to stop saying “retarded” because it hurt other people’s feelings, and even asking the other kids not to swing on the branches of the trees because the trees didn’t like it. Working from an anti oppression frame work informs so much of what I do on a daily basis. Being committed to anti oppression and social justice is (usually) what keeps me so busy – I have trouble saying no to helping out where help is needed.

I think that my final acceptance of traveling to the Ukraine to work with girls with disabilities rested on the idea that this is a population that is severely marginalized, and part mf my role as volunteer is also advocate [insert (highly egotistical) vision of social justice superhero flying in to save the day]. As I’ve mentioned, I have trouble turning down a request to help where help is needed.

Sometimes I fell like no one REALLY cares about social justice, and I tire myself out fighting to educate others as to why this is so important. I think this is the reason why I feel so at home in the SMF program (and Beyond borders for that matter): it is a place where there are like minded people who are interested in fighting for similar causes, and are as committed to justice as I am (some even more so).

Case in point: yesterday Carm Desantis’ SMF 208 family therapy class hosted an Anti oppressive therapy model symposium in the St Jerome’s Cafeteria. Carm really encourages her students to identify their preconceptions, and biases and not just ignore them, or stifle them, but address them and confront them in order to move beyond them. It was invigorating to see 100+ students grappling with the issue of Anti-oppression, and working from a framework they may be unfamiliar with. I think this is a wonderful class to have at a 200 level as it introduces students to the framework, and helps them climb inside and get comfortable using it, and I think it is something that stays with them as they move through the rest of their careers inside the academic institution, as well as out side of it.

With all the feel good stuff out of the way, I do have a bit of a bone to pick. Some times I feel like there are people who are “inclusive” because it is expected of them (in their academic setting) rather than because that’s what they believe in. Like someone who in classroom setting will laboriously make sure their language is inclusive, but write something like “yo guy, I look so gay” on a picture on facebook, or tell you they have a “retarded amount of home work”. There have been occasions where people slip up in classes as well – sitting through 10 research proposal presentation where all of the groups didn’t want to look at same sex participants because they “just weren’t interested in that population” (what’s worse is when they refer to them as “the gays” hahahah), or saying that anal sex is disgusting during a presentation on healthy sex. These are some pretty blatant examples; there is a plethora of others that are more covert, and more indicative of the system of oppression and discrimination that we operate within.

Let me bring you back to the Anti Oppressive Therapy Model Symposium. Each student group was supposed to watch a movie, identify oppression within the movie, and develop a therapy model that was anti oppressive. These students talk a lot about shedding their biases and preconceptions and addressing the client needs from a place of acceptance and non judgment. This is wonderful in theory, but as we walked around we identified several groups whose biggest oversight was putting this into practice. Example: one group asked us to discuss characteristics of the stereotypical man. When we hesitated, one group member prompted my colleague by saying “think of a characteristic of your ideal man, a man you would want to go on a date with”. EEK heteronormativity!!!! What this group member did not realize is that my colleague is a lesbian, and has no use for an ideal man that she would want to date; her comment reduced her sexual orientation to non-existent. There were many other examples of this happening at various groups (I won’t go through them all) which is shocking considering that nearly every group talked about identifying their biases, and checking their judgments “at the door” (so to speak).

Through these situations I always come away having had a really neat experience of multiple personalities: I’m black if you say nigger, I have a disability if you call something retarded, I’m multi ethnic if you use a racial slur, and I’m as gay and out as Harvey Milk if you’re being heteronormative (well 56% anyways hahahah). Dominique de Menil said “What should move us to action is human dignity: the inalienable dignity of the oppressed, but also the dignity of each of us. We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.” I find myself so committed to protecting the right to justice and inclusion of others that I take any form of slight or oppression against anyone so personally.

What I think am saying here (or more what I’m on about) is that we need to adopt anti oppression and social justice into our lives as a fundamental practice, rather than just a frame work to dabble in. Bj Rye has a poster up that says “a newspaper can’t be gay, but your best friend can be” and encourages people to explore how destructive language can be (please check out the thinkb4youspeak website) (also comment if you’re interested in hearing about how HORRIBLE the history of the word “faggot” is and I’ll post something, I just don’t want to take up and MORE space in this post).

Here’s my final though for today: we live in a world of difference. Where each person is very different from every other person and that this is what the makes the world GOOD not BAD. Many of us wouldn’t dream of calling a black person a nigger, or beating someone up because they are gay – we have moved away from such blatant and overt marginalization – we would, however, perhaps make the mistake of assuming that someone (or more specifically assuming that EVERYONE) is hetero sexual. which is just as damaging. We are all racisit, and all sexist, and all homophobic, but it is how we deal with these things that matters. We need to be aware of these things, and these tiny little small biases that exist and leak out, and in so doing have the potential to do a world of harm.

"If you're thinking about being my baby it don't matter if your black or white"

*love (Everyone) *

3 comments:

  1. I walked around that anti-oppression "fair" as well and I gotta admit, it's a pretty cool idea and event.
    I agree with you about absolutely crushing effect that the idea of "normal" can have on people and their lives; life becomes very difficult for people who for whatever reason, do not have an identity that matches up with society's expectations. It seems to be the common thread that links the different groups of oppressed people together - the GLBTQ (hope I got all the letters there) communities, racial minorities, the mentally ill, boys who play with Barbie dolls, non-English speakers, and certainly, the girls in Ternopil that you will be working with.
    I've thought about it quite a bit and to be honest, I think that much more than any commitment to end the use of pejorative words (nigger, retard, gay), it's open-mindedness and a willingness to not be threatened by differences that will make the biggest difference with this issue - although I'm not quite sure the best way to spread that open-mindedness. A person may not be conscious of every possible situation that will offend every marginalized group, but if they are receptive to people informing them of their insensitivity, and willing to consider that everyone is human, and therefore deserving of human dignity and love and the right to do their own thing, then massive progress can be made.
    Sorry if that comment was overly verbose, I tried to edit out my biases and preconceptions haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous Denise! ... well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm sitting here with Phoenix at Coffee Culture and we've just read your blog. I think you should know that you've spawned a whole long conversation about our program, and about implicit prejudices and structural discrimination, and about the places people are in their journey.

    I found myself nodding along a lot with what you were saying, obviously agreeing, while trying to remember that some of the people who do things, or believe or say things, that frustrate me are just a little further behind on the path than I am.

    I enjoyed the "Eek! Heteronormativity" part, though I lament that it's something that happens every term in one way or another. (And Joanne, if you're reading, nope... she wasn't talking about me. :))

    ReplyDelete