Where I fit in the box of crayons....

Do you ever get that feeling like there's more out there? That's the feeling that brought me to beyond borders. The global community is growing, and I have not yet become a part of it. I want to be a contributing citizen to the global community through participation and action. Over the years, I have developed an appreciation for diversity and difference, and look for other ways that people are doing things. There’s a whole world out there beyond our North American perspective that has the potential to change the way I see things, and to change my life. Gahndi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think we should not only find the change within ourselves, but also take part in the change we want to see in the world. I hope that Beyond Borders will offer a medium in which I can be the change I want to see in the world, and also take part in that change.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm leaving on a jet plane......it's official!

I just got off the phone with Orbitz Travel - I have officially booked my tickets!

Here are the departure details:
Monday, May 10, 2010
Toronto Pearson International (YYZ) to Chicago O'Hare International (ORD)
Departure (YYZ): May 10, 12:30 PM EDT (afternoon)
Arrival (ORD): May 10, 1:12 PM CDT (afternoon)
change planes
Chicago O'Hare International (ORD) to Warsaw Frederic Chopin (WAW)
Departure (ORD): May 10, 5:25 PM CDT (evening)
Arrival (WAW): May 11, 9:50 AM CEST (morning)
Change Planes
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Warsaw Frederic Chopin (WAW) to Lviv Snilow (LWO)
Departure (WAW): May 11, 11:50 AM CEST (morning)
Arrival (LWO): May 11, 1:50 PM EEST (afternoon)


Here's some more fun facts:
Flight Distance: 7,264km (4514miles) from Pearson Airport(yyz) to Lviv Airport(lwo)
The equatorial circumference of the earth is 40,075km
I will be travelling almost 1/5 of the way around the earth! (18%)
Flight cost: $1284 round trip (plus travel insurance and booking fee)
Car fuel cost: $675 (one way) $1350 (round trip)
Flight Direction: northeast (44 degrees from north)
Flight pollution: 1,691 lbs (767kg) of carbon dioxide (shitty!)
Direct flight time: 9 hours 2minutes
Actual travel time: 18 hours 20 mins (Yikes!)
Lviv Arrival time: 1:50 pm (6:50 am Toronto time) May 11 2010


In other news - the ticket is booked from May 10 till September 21 allowing me a full 135 days in Europe!

This also means that I must get a Visa! I'm racing against the clock a little bit so I"m going in Monday to arrange all of the details. I"ll keep you posted.

Something wonderful happened today! I found a LANGUAGE TUTOR! Felix and I went on a wild goose chase around the city to every Ukrainian place we could think of trying to find SOMETHING! We finished our search feeling pretty defeated because no one knew anyone who would be willing to help. Then a couple hours later, one of the women that we spoke to called me up and said that she thought it was very important that I get some language training before I go - so her and her husband would arrange to do what they could in the short amount of time I have left!! So far I am loving the kindness of the Ukrainian people!

It has been a very interesting, exciting and kind of exhausting day!

18 days till the party!
34 days till I leave!


*love*

No comments:

Post a Comment