Where I fit in the box of crayons....

Do you ever get that feeling like there's more out there? That's the feeling that brought me to beyond borders. The global community is growing, and I have not yet become a part of it. I want to be a contributing citizen to the global community through participation and action. Over the years, I have developed an appreciation for diversity and difference, and look for other ways that people are doing things. There’s a whole world out there beyond our North American perspective that has the potential to change the way I see things, and to change my life. Gahndi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think we should not only find the change within ourselves, but also take part in the change we want to see in the world. I hope that Beyond Borders will offer a medium in which I can be the change I want to see in the world, and also take part in that change.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

a New Beginning

Where we are in the space-time continuum: it's January 5th 2010 the beginning of a new term, the start of a new year, and the commencement of a new decade. Toronto is the place I call home, for now, but I can see that changing as 2010 unfolds.

I want to make sure that we are all on the same page, so I wanted to spend some time doing a catch-up, a whats on the go, and a look to the future.

Catch-up
First and foremost - I have a Placement!!! On November 16, I received an e-mail with a placement suggestion: The Ukraine to work in an orphanage/group home for girls and women with mental and physical disabilities. I hated the idea: not only was I vehemently opposed to travelling to the Ukraine, I was also not particularly keen on working in a mental health forum. It took two and a half weeks for me to sit with the idea, and tentatively decide that I would give it a shot. Now, having sat with the idea for a while longer I am unbelievably excited!! We don't have many details, but from what I do know I will be travelling with Tina to a Western city called Ternopil (see photo, left), population ~225,000. We will be working at the Ternopil Internat for Women. Tina and I have big plans in the works, and can't wait to get there and get to work. I'll keep you posted on details.

In other news, the Christmas season is over, and so too is the Christmas cookie season (finally)! We took orders for, baked, and sold nearly 4500 cookies in two months. Our gross profits are sitting above $4100! what a wonderful success. The down side is that I never want to look at another cookie again, but I know that won't last long...

It it really has been touching to connect with so many people who have taken an interest in my life. People who handed out cookie forms, helped me to get donations, shared their expertise and experience, donated time or money and especially those who bought cookies. I think we live in a culture that socializes most of us to be shy of asking people for money, but this experience has taught me that it is acceptable, especially if you believe in what you are doing. I have learned that we are not asking for money, out right, we are sharing our stories with people, and they are (willingly, even happily) providing the support we need. This is a valuable lesson, and something I expect to carry with me.

What's on the go
There always seems to be something on the go. The beginning of a new term always inspires new direction and fresh motivation and initiative, this term is no different.

Volunteering. as part of the mandatory Beyond borders required course, RS 383, I must complete 20 hours of volunteering at a community organization. As I have never worked with people with varying abilities, I thought it might be good to get some experience in the field before heading off to the Internat. I am in contact with the principal of a high school (in Toronto) that runs special programming for students with varying abilities. I am hoping to set up a volunteer placement at Lucy McCormack for the duration of the term to fulfill my required hours, but also to gain useful skills and knowledge. My only reservation is that I do not want to approach the Internat from a "Canadian" perspective, so I will have to be careful what I transfer from my experiences here to my experiences there.

Language. I am apprehensive about going to a country to work without any knowledge of the language - this is a competency issue for me, and I am looking to guard against the utter discomfort of total disorientation upon arrival. I have found a Ukrainian language school that runs on Saturdays out of an Orthodox Church in Toronto. I have e-mailed the director in hopes of getting in at the kindergarten level to develop a foundation of the Ukrainian language. If I don't hear back by the middle of the week, I will call and see what I can arrange.

Class. We started class as of yesterday. Got off to a great start with personality testing, fundraising ideas and self defense class. I noticed a distinct difference in our interactions as a group this time around as compared to the first seminar. I wondered yesterday haw I have some this far in my life without some of these people! it got me thinking about community - how important community is, what it means to me, and how we develop and change based on the communities we are a part of. the Beyond Borders community was thrust together by chance, but I think we are now all inextricably linked to one another. After 8 months of relying on one another I'm curious as to what will happen when we are forced apart during our time abroad...

A look to the future

Most importantly: in less than four months, I depart!!! Four months sounds like a long time, but I need to keep reminding myself that it really ISN'T, and the end of April is going to be here much quicker than I expect.

Cookies. I told you being sick of cookies wasn't going to last long! The new and improved order form is on its way to being finalized, prices are set. I'm going to do a test run this weekend (I think), and then I'm back to being a baker! we have switched over the product line to cater to the Valentines/Easter/St Patrick's day buyers. I'll post information, and an order form, soon.

Marketing. One of my big focuses this term is going to be getting some attention. I would like to bring more attention to Cookies with a Cause, and shed some more light on Beyond Borders as a whole. I have contacted several news papers about doing an article, and am looking for other outlets.

Funding. It is scholarship and bursary time! I will be applying for every grant, scholarship, and bursary I can find, as well as taking another kick at the AEF can...

Wrap-Up
I think we are all caught up now (phew!). there's lots happening already, and it's only the 5th day of the year. the next four months is going to be quite the ride.

Stay tuned in as there will be a posting every week - I promise not nearly this long. I encourage you to comment, question and interact with me through this medium; it's good practice now for when I'm away!

*love*

No comments:

Post a Comment