Where I fit in the box of crayons....

Do you ever get that feeling like there's more out there? That's the feeling that brought me to beyond borders. The global community is growing, and I have not yet become a part of it. I want to be a contributing citizen to the global community through participation and action. Over the years, I have developed an appreciation for diversity and difference, and look for other ways that people are doing things. There’s a whole world out there beyond our North American perspective that has the potential to change the way I see things, and to change my life. Gahndi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think we should not only find the change within ourselves, but also take part in the change we want to see in the world. I hope that Beyond Borders will offer a medium in which I can be the change I want to see in the world, and also take part in that change.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Power of an Hour



JUNE 1 2010

I don’t think you can prepare for the power of an experience. I’ve tried for more than a year to prepare for the experience of today, and apparently I underestimated the power of one particular hour.

I got my Beyond borders acceptance letter on May 14 2009, and I found out that I would be travelling to Ukraine to work in the Internat (orphanage) on November 11 2009. I have gone through many emotions as I prepared to leave home, come to Ukraine and spend the summer with the girls of the Internat.

I have been in Ukraine for just over 3 week enjoying every moment of getting used to the culture, my new family, the weather (see previous post), classes, a new instrument, a new hobby, a new language, new friends and everything else. Yesterday was a good day. I got my marks back for my second test (85%) had class, and tutorial, and then sopilka lessons (kind of like a recorder) and the music teacher spent the whole class checking me out (hahaha) and then I met Orest who took me to the Internat for the first time (I have been waiting with baited breath to go)

In Joanne’s initial e-mail about the orphanage she said “This is an extremely challenging placement – but, having watched you over the term, I believe it is one you could handle and even thrive in.” thanks for the vote of confidence Joanne! (no sarcasm) I believe that I CAN thrive in the Internat environment, but I do have to admit that the first hour I spent there yesterday really hit me hard – and I wasn’t expecting this.

I went with Orest (Ukrainian Student), and Mike, and Sean (Sasktoon students). As we walked onto the “compound” we were like the “Pied Piper” kids came out from everywhere to great us. They were really happy to see Orest, and they were even more excited that the “noveeno Kanadski” (new Canadians) had arrived. We walked into the building and a heard of smiling happy children rushed us, and all wanted hugs, and hands to hold, and to be picked up. At first I was a little rigid, but I soon realized that these were human beings starved for affection and human contact.

I asked if I could take pictures, Orest smirked and gave me the go ahead… I quickly understood why Ores smirked when I asked… The girls LOVE taking pictures. We were there for a short hour – I took a couple pictures, but left with over 120 pictures on my camera!!! (I’ll post some below) they fought over who got to use the camera, and exercised their authority of they wanted to be in a picture alone with us (the Canadians).

I said to Mike that it was incredible to be in their space, and to finally be spending time with them… I didn’t think that it was a HUGE mistake to go visit them the night before my final exam…

So I’m a fixer, a problem solver. If there is a problem I MUST fix it, and I must fix it NOW…. As I left the orphanage I was already really ticked that last year’s beyond borders students didn’t tell me the girls LOVED cameras… I would have brought 6 (or 10, or…). On the ride home my mind began to work itself into a huff: who to call, what it would cost to ship cameras from Canada, how much they would be here, what would we do with the photos, could I find a photographer to come and teach them in Ukrainian, how could we use their love of cameras and photos to better their lives at the internat…

I got home exhausted. So tired I barely made it up the 3 flights of stairs to our flat (yes I hate stairs, and yes I’m fat and out of shape, but 3 flights of stairs aren’t usually THAT much of a problem). I got into bed and couldn’t calm my brain enough to actually fall asleep. It took me an hour of “square breathing” to fall asleep (usually this does the trick in under 5 mins no matter my state of mind) and all I dreamed about was the orphanage.

I was a mess this morning, couldn’t focus, couldn’t study, and totally blanked on my exam. I underestimated the power that the Internat has. I think I need to process…
here's some photos:










Stay tuned
*love*

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes with your processing Denise... I am thankful for your strength!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D!!!! OH DENISE! This is EXACTLY what happened to me the first few days I went to the orphanage here in India!!! Isn't it just overwhelming - but in a good good way! All the hugs, all the hand holding, all the smiles... And then too, all the areas that need attention and are so easily neglected. But I digress...

    All the girls here LOVE taking pictures, I have so many on my camera as well (I will upload very soon)! And there was one girl in particular, Selvi, who I can just see has a knack for photography :) It was so exciting!

    I think we're so fortunate to be doing this and we've clearly been touched by these girls!

    All the best, can't wait to hear more about the Internat!

    ReplyDelete