Where I fit in the box of crayons....

Do you ever get that feeling like there's more out there? That's the feeling that brought me to beyond borders. The global community is growing, and I have not yet become a part of it. I want to be a contributing citizen to the global community through participation and action. Over the years, I have developed an appreciation for diversity and difference, and look for other ways that people are doing things. There’s a whole world out there beyond our North American perspective that has the potential to change the way I see things, and to change my life. Gahndi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think we should not only find the change within ourselves, but also take part in the change we want to see in the world. I hope that Beyond Borders will offer a medium in which I can be the change I want to see in the world, and also take part in that change.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

нарешті прибувається - finally arrived

May 12 2010
Finally. I have arrived.
Here are pictures of my FIRST views of Ukraine from the Airplane, landing at Lviv

My journey was not for the feint at heart. I started in Toronto on Monday.
Let me take some time to explain all of the pitfalls of the last couple days
1) I THOUGHT my plane departed at 1:30, but it actually departed at 12:30! I lost an hour ad had to cut my to do list in half – a lesson in prioritizing!
2) The guy at the United Air counter was a jerk ( see previous post) and charged me an arm and a leg for my over weight suitcases (I had planned ahead and brought thank you cookies for him to be accommodating… but to no avail)
3) I got to Chicago perfectly (as described earlier) only to find out that my next flight (to warsaw) was delayed by 6 hours. This meant that my next flight to Lviv would also be delayed by 12 hours making me 24 hours late.
4) Panic hit! I had taken the time (prioritized) to cancel my cell service in Toronto so that I did not incur horrendous charges while in transit. This meant I had no way to connect with anyone to let them know these changes to my itinerary.
5) I learned you cannot make a connect call to a cell phone!
6) I learned American business are unwilling to make/give small change – this made using the payphone a horrible mess. I had to call Felix and talk in one minute intervals
7) I was stuck in Chicago for 14 hours with very little and limited access to US money, no internet connection, no communication, and no food.
8) I realized while sitting at the gate to board the plane to Warsaw that Chicago is in a different time zone, which meant that I had ANOTHER hour to wait for the plane
9) The 9 hour flight wasn’t so bad, but in the spirit of being a total complainer, I must say that airplane seats (well airplanes overall) are NOT fat friendly. If I had a single motivation for losing some weight while over here, it would be to properly fit into an airplane seat for the journey back home!!!!
10) Warsaw was a really nice stop over. LOT airlines is in my bad books though – the shuttle bus was late this morning and on account of nearly missing my plane I shared a cab with the woman I met yesterday (Oksana) and another Gentleman from Belarus (who was very confused as to why I refused to speak Russian)
11) I arrived in Lviv just a little late, and the customs officer informed me that my $220 visa was invalid and that I must contact the police after three months in Ukraine to beg permission to stay my remaining month and a half! (the baggage officer was pretty firm with me until he asked where I was from, I told him I was a Canadian student, and his demeanor totally changed: he was then totally uninterested in checking my bags. Its ok, I don’t trust Americans either!)
12) THEY LOST MY LUGGAGE!!!!!!!! One of my bags arrived, but the other one is lost in an intercontinental matrix. Everyone kept saying “ make sure you have enough packed on your carry-on luggage to get you through a couple days…” I didn’t listen. My suitcase that is full of stuff for the girls arrived, but my clothes and personal effects did not. For the next couple days, I am stuck hand washing my underpants, and wearing the same clothes.
13) I learned there are no escalators/elevators in most of Ukraine. Carrying my 80lb suitcase + back pack+ purse up and down stairs was definitely a test of my endurance. (below: pictures of the train Lviv - Ternopil)




14) I learned that I am not as good at speaking Ukrainian to Ukrainians as I am at speaking Ukrainian to my pillow….. Again, I feel like a heel speaking in MY language in other people’s country.
15) Because of my LONG journey I have burned through 2 of my novels meant to get me through the summer (please send me books!!! )
After 3 full days of travel, I have finally arrived safely, in not just a little bit exhausted, and A LOT travel weary. The journey did not happen without lessons being learned.
The most important thing that I will take from my journey is that this summer is not going to be a breeze. I think I commenced my journey with a healthy dose of cocky, which has effectively been cut off at the knees. I also learned that I deal well with difficult situations – I can keep going as long as the problem requires that I respond – just keep swimming is a wonderful motto to adopt.
With the 15 points of horrible out of the way, I am happy to be here. I am glad that I arrived, and that I am here to carry out the plan as I have dreamed about for the last year. I have worked damned hard to get this far, and I don’t intend to have a shitty 48 hours ruin that for me – I’m here in one piece, basically unscathed, and off I go on the rest of my journey.

Photo from the Museum of 4 Ukrainian symbols

*love*

No comments:

Post a Comment