Where I fit in the box of crayons....

Do you ever get that feeling like there's more out there? That's the feeling that brought me to beyond borders. The global community is growing, and I have not yet become a part of it. I want to be a contributing citizen to the global community through participation and action. Over the years, I have developed an appreciation for diversity and difference, and look for other ways that people are doing things. There’s a whole world out there beyond our North American perspective that has the potential to change the way I see things, and to change my life. Gahndi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think we should not only find the change within ourselves, but also take part in the change we want to see in the world. I hope that Beyond Borders will offer a medium in which I can be the change I want to see in the world, and also take part in that change.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Witamy w Warszawie, Polska

I am a people watcher, and I have a unique memory for faces. I remember people. There was a woman on my flight the Warsaw -I saw her hanging out in chicago, I saw her on the plane here, we took the shuttle bus together, we ate lunch at the same table... I kept wanting to ask if shee'd like to come down town and explore with me so that we werent two single ladies. My bashfull ness got the better of me - I didn't ask and went down town exploting by myself.

here are some photographs:

here is the Warsaw Centrum - a kin to times square, or Yonge/dundas.


Here is the Warsaw Technical museum - Kinoteka


This is the Polska Palace Hotel



And my personal favourite a video of a guy in the underground system playing the fire tuba


I didn't stay down town very long. I'm pretty tired, but also, I'm a felmale by myself in the city center with a camera, at dusk and no idea where to go/what to see/where I am. so I wallked around for a bit, snapped a few shots, and found my way back to the 175 bus


I stood in the center of the bus, looking around, and keeping my eye out for neat things, and my stop. at the second last stop before mine, I moved to the exit door. to my surprise, there was the woman I had seen earlier coming back from down town. we both smiled and said hello, and I finaly started up a conversation. I told her that I was thining of asking her if she wanted to come down town with me, she said she wanted to ask the same thing! So here we werem two women both travelling downtown alone because we wer too shy to strike up a conversation! We had a lovely little chat as walked home from the bus stop, only to find out that our rooms are right across the hall from eachother!

I have learned my lesson, and have (very quickly) overcome my shyness and nervousness about another country. From here on in, I will not be shy to start up a conversation, and I will not hold back when making connections - I wouldn't do it at home, so why should I do it here?! I think that this lesson has taken the edge off of travelling alone - I am good at making connections, and there is no reason for me to be alone where I am always surrounded by people. I am glad that this happened so soon in my journey, I think it will aid in the rest of it.

I'll keep posting these little stories, and pictures along the way (my new mini laptop has a handy dandy card reader built right in which makes picture transfering a BREEZE!!)

*love*

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Niecy, don't be shy but be careful. Enjoy every bit of the adventure.
    Love :) Aunt Leila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made a friend and already learned a lesson :o) Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete