Where I fit in the box of crayons....

Do you ever get that feeling like there's more out there? That's the feeling that brought me to beyond borders. The global community is growing, and I have not yet become a part of it. I want to be a contributing citizen to the global community through participation and action. Over the years, I have developed an appreciation for diversity and difference, and look for other ways that people are doing things. There’s a whole world out there beyond our North American perspective that has the potential to change the way I see things, and to change my life. Gahndi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think we should not only find the change within ourselves, but also take part in the change we want to see in the world. I hope that Beyond Borders will offer a medium in which I can be the change I want to see in the world, and also take part in that change.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Okean Elzy

MAY 24 2010


On Wednesday (May 26) I am going to a concert with the 3 saskatoon students. We are going to see Okean Elzy (translated to Ocean Elzy - click link for youtube video "Flowers")– a VERY popular Ukrainian pop singer. We are sitting in the 8th row, dead center. The tickets cost 280hrv (herevena) each.
I have no idea who this dude is. The Saskatoon kids are super excited to see him. They are all of Ukrainian background who are (varyingly) active in their own Ukrainian communities. One of the guys said that his friends back home would do horrible things to him if they found out he had the opportunity go, and passed it up. I am going because it’ll be a neat experience – an opportunity to see popular culture in raw format, and an evening out of the house.
Tanya and Slaveek (family) were soo excited that I am going – they fired up the computer and played me all of the music they had. They explained why he was so popular (his musc is very good, and he is one of very few popular singers that sings all their songs in Ukrainian rather than selling out and singing in the more popular and definitely more lucrative Russian). They were both very enthusiastic about Okean Elzy.
The rough exchange is about 7hrv to $1CAD – that makes the tickets approximately $40 each – not terrible for some of the bests seats in the house to see one of the most popular singers in the Ukraine. I was going to go tomorrow (today is a holiday) and buy Tanya and Slaveek tickets to see their favourite singer… unfortunately Slaveek will be out of town (he works in the regional hospital the next town over) and Tanya has to travel to Kiev to drop off an important document (the Ukrainian postal service is not the same as Canada post, apparently) so neither one of them is able to go, ticket or not.
Today there was an Okean Elzy video on the “televeezor” and they started asking about the upcoming concert: where I am sitting, where it is, what time it is etc. Not being particularly attached to the idea of going, I couldn’t answer any of their questions so I go them the ticket. Slaveek’s eyes nearly popped out of his head – he couldn’t believe that I paid 280hrv for a ticket.
I was then let in on contextual information I’ve been wondering about since I got here: average salary. Slaveek is a specialized Abdomen surgeon at the regional hospital his salary is 1200hrv – not per hour, not per day, not even per week – he makes 1200hrv per month!!! I spent 1/4 of his monthly earnings on concert tickets!! Holy fuck that puts things into perspective- I was mortified when he told me this. Not only have I just turned into the rich Canadian (which I have been trying very hard not to be flashy about), but I’m also the privileged asshole who has no idea how privileged I am.
I thought about how I would feel if someone told me they partied with Greenday (insert favourite popular celebrity here) but had no idea who they were and had never heard their music they had an alright time, but they were just there for a “night out”. Or if you’re a sports fan – think about the “suits” that buy up the front row seats (gold or platinum at the air Canada center) and either don’t show up, or come and have no interest in the sport they are watching (Adam, if you’re reading, I’m thinking about how you’d feel…). You almost need to multiply that shitty feeling by 10 because not only is this guy popular, there is a significant layer of nationalism because of what he represents, and then to add one more thing – going to a concert like this is an opportunity that most people in this city could never even dream about because the cost is way way way to high (again ¼ of his monthly salary).

My family in no way whatsoever holds it against me that I am coming from priviledge – they are not even disappointed that I am going to the concert and they are not – in fact they are excited that I am taking a camera and will be able to share pictures and videos with them (I told you they are effing amazing people). I feel like shit, though, and I have no idea how to make sure I’m contributing to daily life in the family without being flashy, and an asshole….
Things to ponder…..

*Love*

No comments:

Post a Comment